STAR Cities: Sustainable Tourism for Attractivity of Riverside Cities
Many European territories have developed strong relations with rivers, that take on an economic and social role in their history. In the heart of European cities or in suburban areas, riversides offer exceptional natural, cultural, and industrial heritage, both tangible and intangible. They give the opportunity to combine traditional tourism visits such as monuments and museums, with more natural and original places. That is why riverside development is a real opportunity for European cities to create innovative solutions for sustainable tourism development.
The STAR Cities project encompasses the entire tourism ecosystem existing along rivers that is relevant to the specific objective of the Interreg Europe programme, which deals with the protection, promotion and development of natural heritage, biodiversity, and ecosystems. In this framework, STAR Cities project aims at improving regional policies on natural, cultural heritage and tourism development. It also aims at making policy makers consider the development of a riverside environment of European cities as a new tourism offer by focusing on sustainable development as a major issue.
- Conducting three thematic, interactive interregional learning sessions – a combination of study visits and workshops and exchange of experiences among project partners and stakeholders from individual cities / areas.
- Development of common Policy Guidelines and Recommendations based on the results of all three thematic workshops.
- Preparation of a Regional Assessment with a State of Play for the Ljubljana Moors area with accents on the Ljubljanica riverbank and with the included Ljubljana centre.
- Preparation of Good Practises
- Preparation of an Action Plan
- VAL-de-MARNE TOURISM BOARD, France (Lead Partner)
- NECSTouR – Network of European Regions for Sustainable and Competitive Tourism, Belgium
- LAZIO REGION, Italy
- MUNICIPALITY IX EUR V RIMU, Italy
- FREE AND HANSEATIC CITY OF HAMBURG, Germany
- PUBLIC INSTITUTION »KAUNAS 2022«, Lithuania
- REGIONAL DEVELEOPMENT AGENCY OF LJUBLJANA URBAN REGION, Slovenia
Total budget: 1.154.909,00 EUR
Budget for RRA LUR: 133.675,00 EUR
Co-financing EU for RRA LUR (85 %): 113.623,75 EUR
June 1st 2018 (official start for RRA LUR: December 1st 2019) – May 31st 2023