Cross-border public transport between Italy and Slovenia
The Round Table held on 30th October 2020, organised by the Friuli Venezia Giulia Regional Board as part of the #FORTIS project, was an opportunity for operators and stakeholders to exchange views. The information collected shall contribute to the 4 pilot activities on cross-border public transport. Activities covers:
- Extension of the public car transport service between Muggia (Friuli Venezia Giulia) and Koper (Slovenia).
- Integration of the provision of a public car transport service between Trieste (Friuli Venezia Giulia) and Koper.
- A feasibility study on cross-border maritime public transport services between Italy and Slovenia.
- A feasibility analysis on the extension of the single integrated cross-border bus + train ticket between Trieste/Ljubljana.
The meeting also highlighted the urgent need for dialogue in order to establish a new framework for cross-border mobility to overcome existing obstacles, in line with the European Commission guidelines. Within the Round Table some common priorities for improving cross-border mobility were exposed:
- Reinforcing the promotion campaign for the use of public transport.
- Innovation, integration between operators, demand analysis, strategic network planning.
- Increased active mobility.
- Infrastructure reinforcement.
- Harmonisation and integration of means of transport services on a cross-border level.
Interreg Italy-Slovenia project for the strengthening of institutional co-operation in cross-border areas through innovative solutions within the field of public transport and civil motorisation procedures.
The partnership involves the Central European Initiative – CEI as lead partner, the Friuli Venezia Giulia Regional Board, Unioncamere (Italian Union of Chambers of Commerce) of the Veneto region – Eurosportello del Veneto, the Municipality of Capodistria and the Regional Agency for the Development of the Metropolitan Region of Ljubljana.